Kenya Institute of Social Work has started a membership division. The Division seeks to register and bring together professionals, academics, organizations, practitioners and students in the fields of social work, sociology, psychology, community development among others. The Division will also play a standardization role over the players in the field of Social work and Community development.
The Division is part of KISWCD and is wholly owned and run by KISWCD. Members registered shall be referred to as “Members of the Kenya Institute of Social Work”
The Division is meant to fill the gap left by lack of an association to register social workers and to check professional standards in the field of social work and community development.
The Kenya Institute of Social Work and Community Development has taken it upon herself to officially register all the practitioners in the field of Social work and Community development. KISWCD is also determined to ensure that the professional training offered by KISWCD and other institutions of higher learning (in the fields of social work and community development) is reflected at work place.
To be the leading forum for professionals in the field of Social Work and Community Development in the region and beyond.
We strive to ensure that high levels of ethics, professionalism and character are upheld in the field of Social work and Community development.
OBJECTIVES OF THE MEMBERSHIP DIVISION
- To create and maintain a register of the practicing professionals, academics, students and organizations in the field of social work & community development in general.
- To create a forum where professionals in the field of social work can interact, share ideas and exchange knowledge.
- To monitor organizations and professionals in the field of social work & community development to ensure ethics and professionalism are observed in the profession.
- To create an environment that ensues high level of professional standards and ethics in the field of social(general)
- To reward organizations and individuals who uphold high standards of ethics and professionalism in the social work profession.
- To hold regular refresher training forums and conferences for the players in the social work profession.
ELIGIBILITY FOR MEMBERSHIP OF KENYA INSTITUTE OF SOCIAL WORK
- Be a corporate body or organization that is involved in social work or community development
- Be a continuing student of social work or related disciplines from a recognized institutions
- Be a Diploma or Degree holder in social work and the related fields.
- Be a graduate in another field but with work experience in social worker.
- Community Development
- Project Management
- Community Health
- All development related work
- All charity related work
- Counseling related areas
- Gender and women empowerment
- Poverty related areas
- Public Administration
ETHICS, RULES & REGULATIONS
The Membership Division in collaboration with KISWCD management has drafted a Code of ethics, rules and regulations which guide the membership to Kenya Institute of Social Work. Read more...
LEVELS OF MEMBERSHIP
This is the most prestigious level of membership. It is granted by Kenya Institute of Social Work after evaluating somebody’s character, professionalism and contribution in the field of Social work and Community Development. It is not applied for and does not attract annual contributions. It is permanent not unless in situations of high level incompetence and contravention of professional ethics where an individual can be stripped off the fellowship title. Individuals who attain the fellowship will be referred to as “Fellows of the Kenya Institute of Social Work” (FKISW)
In this category, corporate bodies (NGOs, Private Companies, Institutions etc) that are stakeholders in the field of Social work and Community Development are eligible to apply for membership. They shall be required to pay an application fee of Kshs.500 and an Annual Membership fee of Kshs.3000. Click here to download the CORPORATE MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
This category will attract Masters Degree and PhD holders in Social work and Community Development or related disciplines. They will pay an application fee of KShs 500 and an Annual membership fee of KShs 2000. Click here to download the MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
This category shall attract holders of 1st degree in Social work and Community Development and related disciplines. They shall pay an application fee of KShs 500 and an Annual membership fee of KShs 1500. Click here to download the MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
This category will attract graduates in other fields who have two years or more work experience in Social work or related careers. They shall pay an application fee of Kshs.500 and an Annual membership fee of KShs 1500. Click here to download the MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
This category will attract holders of Diplomas and higher diplomas in Social work and the related disciplines. They shall pay as follows: Application fee of Kshs.500 and annual membership fee of KShs 1000. Click here to download the MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
This category will attract continuing students in Social work and related disciplines. They shall pay an application fee of KShs 500 and an Annual membership of Kshs 500. Click here to download the MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
ADMINISTRATION OF THE MEMBERSHIP DIVISION
The Division is directed by KISWCD management and run by the head of the Division. The Division operates independently from all other KISWCD programmes.
The Membership Committee has five members. The committee evaluates membership applications and recommends to the head of Division on whether to accept or reject member’s applications.
The Committee’s decision is final.
MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
Members are required to fill-in the application forms and attach copies of their certificates and testimonials. They are required pay an application (non-refundable) fee of KShs 500. Upon receipt of their application they shall then wait for communication from the Division after the committee evaluates their papers.Click here to download the MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM / Click here to download the CORPORATE MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
All Members shall be issued with membership certificates which shall have one year validity. They shall be required to renew them at the beginning of every calendar year.
Members shall be issued with membership cards. The card shall bear the member’s photo, ID No. Passport No. profession and level of membership
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
- Membership card and Certificate
- Allowed entry to KISW conferences and dinners
- Listing in the KISW list of Social work professionals
- A quarterly magazine on Social work and Community Development
- Refresher trainings for Social work professionals
- Joining the biggest social work forum in the region. Giving you a chance to interact with other members/professionals.
- Linking with interrelated organizations
- Direct exposure to job opportunities
- Having your CV uploaded in our CV bank and on our website
The procedure for membership application and registration will be as follows:
Step 1. An interested member fills in a membership application form. (This can be done manually or online)
Step 2. The applicant hands in the filled form together with copies of testimonials, two passport sized photos and pays the application fee (KShs 500)
Step 3. The Division enters the applicants data in the applicants’ file (both electronic and manual)
Step 4. The Division forwards the list of applicants and their credentials to the membership committee.
Step 5. The committee evaluates the list and creates a short-list of the qualified members which is handed to the Division for publishing in the manual and electronic registers. NB: The committee’s decision is final.
Step 6. The Division notifies the successful members to pay their membership fee.
Step 7. After paying the membership fee, the members are issued with membership cards and certificates.
VALIDITY OF THE MEMBERSHIP CERTIFICATES
The membership certificate shall be valid for one calendar year (running from January to December). All the applications made before 30th June, will be valid for that particular year in which they are made. Applications made from 1st July will be valid for the following calendar year.
DURATION FOR APPLICATION & REGISTRATION
NB: Within one week after submitting their applications, members will be notified of the status of their applications i.e., whether they are successful, which category they can join and the required membership fee.
Application and registration will take at lease two weeks (14 days) which shall be broken down as follows.
One week to allow the committee to review the applicant’s papers. The committee will be meeting once every week most preferably on Thursdays.
One week for the Division to prepare members’ ID cards and certificates.
The onus of accepting a discipline or profession as admissible to the Kenya Institute of Social Work shall lie solely on the membership committee. The committee shall evaluate contents of different disciplines and professions to determine which ones are admissible to the Kenya Institute of Social Work. The committee shall review the list from time to time.
BUDGET FOR THE MEMBERSHIP DIVISION
The membership Division runs its own budget which is independent from the mainstream KISWCD budget.
The budget is funded from the Kenya Institute of Social Work Membership Kitty. The financial autonomy of the Division will help in evaluating its financial strengths and weaknesses. It may also guide the future operations and collaborations with other professional bodies.
The membership Division shall keep its books and records giving a proper break- down for its expenditure and collections. This will help KISWCD Management in auditing the Division and gauging its own financial viability and strength.
SOURCES OF FUNDS FOR KISW KITTY
The key source of funding for the KISW kitty will be the fees raised from members’ contributions. The contributions are as follows:
a) Application fee (Kshs.500)
b) Annual membership fees
Another addition to the kitty will be funds raised from members’ conferences. Members will pay a discounted entrance fee while guests and non – members will pay the full conference rate.
There shall be dinners and round-table events for members. Such events will contribute greatly to the KISW Kitty.
The Division shall raise funds by publishing a quarterly journal for Social workers and Community Development that shall be sold to members (at a discount) and other interested publics.
Donors and well-wishers
The Division will also raise funds from donors and well-wishers who may be willing to contribute to the kitty. Some of them may be our members or other individuals and organizations.
USES OF FUNDS FROM KISW KITTY
The KISW kitty shall be managed jointly by the membership Division, the membership committee and the management of KISWCD. Funds from the kitty shall be prioritized in such a way as to achieve the following.
- Deliver services and value to members
- Promote the membership Division
- Assist KISWCD in reaching its long term goals
The funds from the kitty shall be spent to accomplish the following tasks.
- Printing membership documents.
- The most important expenditure for the Division will be to print certificates and identification cards for members.
- Marketing and promotion of membership.
- The main goal of the Division is to recruit as may members as is possible. This will therefore demand that a sizeable percentage of funds from the KISW kitty will be spent in promotions and marketing of the membership idea.
- Income generating activities.
- The Division shall spend a percentage of the funds from the kitty to create some income generating activities like the following;
- Publishing professional journals for sale to members and non-members..
- Organizing conferences, dinners and refresher trainings.
- Running the Division.
- The Division shall operate using funds from the kitty. This will increase the autonomy of the membership Division
- A certain percentage of surplus funds from the kitty shall be spent to offer bursaries and sponsorships to needy students willing to study in KISWCD. This will be part of KISWCD CSR.
- Rewarding members and outstanding non-members.
- The Division shall spend another percentage of the extra funds to reward loyal and faithful members and outstanding non-members of the society.
For More details please contact
The Membership /Marketing Executive
Kenya Institute of Social Work
County House, 3rd Floor, Haile Sellasie Avenue
P.O. Box 57961 00200
Tel: +254 20 2225555/ 340569
Cell: +254 733 727406/ 0713 844333
Email: Membership @kiswcd.co.ke