MEMBERSHIP CODE OF ETHICS AND PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT
The purpose of this Code is to instill confidence in the Social Work and Community Development profession and to help individuals become better practitioners. It is believed that the Social Work profession can be advanced, both individually and collectively, by embracing this Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct. This code will assist in making wise decisions, particularly when faced with difficult situations where Members are asked to compromise their integrity or values. It is hoped that this Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct will serve as a catalyst for others to study, deliberate, and write about ethics and values. Further, it is hoped that the Code will ultimately be used to build upon and evolve the Social Work and Community Development profession.
PERSONS TO WHOM THE CODE APPLIES
The Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct applies to:
- All KISW members who are both Corporate and Individuals.
VALUES THAT SUPPORT THIS CODE
KISW values the following virtues
- Transparency and Accountability
This Code affirms these five values as its pillars.
- All KISW members will make decisions and take actions based on the best interests of society, public safety, and the environment.
- Will accept only those assignments that are consistent with their background, experience, skills, and qualifications.
- Will fulfill all the commitments that they undertake i.e do what they have promised.
- When Members make errors or omissions, they will take ownership and make corrections promptly. When they discover errors or omissions caused by others, they will communicate them to the appropriate body as soon as they are discovered.
- Members will accept accountability for any issues resulting from their own errors or omissions and any resulting consequences.
- Members will protect proprietary or confidential information that has been entrusted to them.
- Members will uphold this Code and hold each other accountable to it.
- Will always keep themselves informed on the current issues and uphold the policies, rules, regulations and laws that govern their work, professional and volunteer activities.
- Will report unethical or illegal conduct to appropriate management and, if necessary, to those affected by the conduct.
All Members of KISW:
- Will respect the property rights of others.
- Will inform themselves about the norms and customs of others and avoid engaging in behaviors they might consider disrespectful.
- Will listen to others’ points of view, seeking to understand them.
- Will approach directly those persons with whom they have a conflict or disagreement.
- Will conduct themselves in a professional manner, even when it is not reciprocated.
- Will negotiate in good faith.
- Will not exercise their power of expertise or position to influence the decisions or actions of others in order to benefit personally at their expense.
- Will not act in an abusive manner toward others.
As KISW Members;
- Will demonstrate transparency in all the decision-making process.
- Will constantly reexamine their impartiality and objectivity, taking corrective action as appropriate.
- Will provide equal access to information to those who are authorized to have that information.
- Will make opportunities equally available to all people who are qualified.
- Will proactively and fully disclose any real or potential conflicts of interest to the appropriate stakeholders.
- When KISW members realize that they have a real or potential conflict of interest, they will refrain from engaging in the decision-making process or otherwise attempting to influence outcomes, unless or until: they have made full disclosure to the affected stakeholders; have an approved mitigation plan; have obtained the consent of the stakeholders to proceed.
- Will not hire or fire, reward or punish, or award or deny contracts based on personal considerations, including but not limited to, favoritism, nepotism, or bribery.
- Will not discriminate against others based on, but not limited to, gender, race, age, religion, disability, nationality, or sexual orientation.
- Will apply the rules of the organization (employer, KISW, or other group) without favoritism or prejudice.
All KISW Members
- Will earnestly seek to understand the truth.
- Will be truthful in all communications and in conduct.
- Will provide accurate information in a timely manner.
- Will make commitments and promises, implied or explicit, in good faith.
- Will strive to create an environment in which others feel safe to tell the truth.
- Will not engage in or condone behavior that is designed to deceive others, including but not limited to, making misleading or false statements, stating half-truths, providing information out of context or withholding information that, if known, would render our statements as misleading or incomplete.
- Will not engage in dishonest behavior with the intention of personal gain or at the expense of another.
TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY
All KISW Members
- Will not engage in any corrupt or fraudulent activities
- Will conduct their professional engagements transparently and honestly at all times